The Cambridge History of English and American Literature in 18 Volumes (190721).
Vol. 15. Colonial and Revolutionary Literature; Early National Literature, Part I.
I. Travellers and Observers, 17631846.
Professor Max Farrand's suggestion to the American Historical Association of the need of a systametic bibliography of travels in America has been taken up by Messers. Bernard C. Steiner and Louis H. Dielman, who are now collecting titles for the work.
The following lists may be supplemented by a general reference to the reprints, and various original works, by the indefatigable Dr. Thwaites, to the publications of the firms of Clark and Burrows Brothers, of Cleveland, and to the somewhat arbitrary editions by Elliot Coues.
The present bibliography, which is intended to be representative, and under the circumstances could not be made complete, contains no reference to manuscripts that have been made public since 1846. It is virtually restricted to American and British books in English, with a few on Canada, and a few translations. In general, but one place of publication has been noted for any one book. Some titles are given more fully than others, for purposes of illustration.
Several details in the chapter are derived from a manuscript article, entitled Fifty Years of Travels in the United States, 17891839, by Mr. H. Barrett Learned, of Washington, D. C.
- I. BIBLIOGRAPHY
- Buck, Solon Justus. Collections of the Illinois State Historical Library, Volume IX. Bibliographical Series, Volume II. Travel and Description, 17651865. Springfield, Illinois, 1914.
- Channing, Edward, Albert Bushnell Hart, and Frederick Jackson Turner. Guide to the Study and Reading of American History. Boston and London, 1912. [For Books of Travel,
see pp. 89102.]
- Evans, Charles. American Bibliography. [In course of publication. 8 vols. published.] Chicago, 1903, etc.
- Gagnon, Philèas. Essai de Bibliographie Canadienne
. 2 vols. Montreal, 18951913.
- Hildeburn, Charles R
. The Issues of the Press of Pennsylvania, 16851874. 2 vols. Philadelphia, 1885.
- Larned, Josephus N. [Editor.] The Literature of American History; A Bibliographical Guide&hellip Boston, 1902. [For books of travel,
- Rich, Obadiah. Bibliotheca Americana Nova
. London, 1835. Supplements, 1841, 1846.
- Sabin, Joseph. A Dictionary of Books relating to America
. 20 vols. 186892.
Travellers and Observers, 17631846
- Thomson, Peter G. A Bibliography of the State of Ohio
. Cincinnati, 1880.
- Winsor, Justin. [Editor.] Narrative and Critical History of America. Boston, . [For books of travel,
see vol. 8, pp. 489494.]
- II. COLLECTIONS, ETC.
- Howells, William Dean, and Thomas S. Perry. [Compilers.] Library of Universal Adventure by Sea and Land. 1888.
- Mereness, Newton D. [Editor.] Travels in the American Colonies. 1916.
- Thwaites, Reuben Gold. Early Western Travels (17481846). A Series of Annotated Reprints
. Edited with&hellip Notes and Introductions and Index. 32 vols. Cleveland, 190407.
- [Editor.] The Jesuit Relations and Allied Documents; Travels and Explorations of the Jesuit Missionaries in New France, 16101791
. 73 vols. Cleveland, 18961901.
- III. MISCELLANEOUS
- Armstrong, Emma K
. Chateaubriand's America. Publications of the Modern Language Association of America, 15:345370.
- Bartram's Garden, Philadelphia, Pa
. John Bartram
. [Philadelphia], 1904.
- Bèdier, Joseph. Etudes Critiques. (Pp. 125294: Chateaubriand en Amèrique, Vèritè et Fiction.) Paris, 1903.
- Bourne, Edward G. The Travels of Jonathan Carver. American Historical Review, II:287302.
- Brooks, John Graham. As Others See Us
. 1908. [Contains a bibliography of travels.]
- Chinard, Gilbert. L'Amèrique et le Rêve Exotique dans la Littèature Française au XVIIe Siécle. Paris, 1913.
- Coleridge, Ernest Hartley. Coleridge, Wordsworth, and the American Botanist William Bartram. Transactions of the Royal Society of Literature, Second Series, 17:69.
- Cooper, Lane. Methods and Aims in the Study of Literature
. (Pp. 96132: A Glance at Wordsworth's Reading.) Boston, 1915.
- Wordsworth Sources. Athenæum, 22 April, 1905, pp. 498 ff.
- Crévecur, Robert de. Saint John de Crévec, sa Vie et ses Ouvrages
. Paris, 1883.
- Darlington, William. Memorials of John Bartram and Humphrey Marshall.&hellip Philadelphia, 1849.
- Durrie, Daniel S. Captain Jonathan Carver and the Carver Grant. Collections of the Wisconsin Historical Society (1872), 6:220270.
- Gregory, John G. Jonathan Carver, His Travels in the Northwest, 17661768. Publications of the Parkman Club, No. 5. Milwaukee, 1896.
- Harshberger, John W. The Botanists of Philadelphia and their Work. Philadelphia, 1899.
- Hart, Albert Bushnell. American History Told by Contemporaries. Vol. II, 1899. Vol. III, 1901.
- Henderson, Archibald. The Creative Forces in Western Expansion: Henderson and Boone. American Historical Review, 20:86 ff.
- Lee, John Thomas. A Bibliography of Carver's Travels. Proceedings of the State Historical Society of Wisconsin, 1909, pp. 143183. Madison, 1910.
- Captain Jonathan Carver: Additional Data. Proceedings of the State Historical Society of Wisconsin, 1912, pp. 87123. Madison, 1913.
- Mitchell, Julia Post. St. Jean de Crévecoeur. 1916. (Columbia University dissertation.)
- Peschel, Oscar Ferdinand. Geschichte der Erdkunde bis auf Alexander von Humboldt und Karl Ritter. München, 1877.
- Sherrill, Charles H. French Memories of EighteenthCentury America. 1915.
- Tuckerman, Henry Theodore. America and her Commentators. With a Critical Sketch of Travel in the United States. 1864.
- IV. PARTICULAR AUTHORS AND WORKS
- Abdy, Edward Strutt. Journal of a Residence and Tour in the United States of North America, from April, 1833, to October, 1834. London, 1835.
- Adair, James. The History of the American Indian. London, 1775.
- Adams, John. The Flowers of Modern Travels, Being Elegant, Entertaining and Instructive Extracts, Selected from the Works of the most Celebrated Travellers. London, 1788.
- Alexander, Sir James Edward. Transalantic Sketches, Comprising Visits to the most Interesting Scenes in North and South America, and the West Indies. With Notes on Negro Slavery and Canadian Emigration. Philadelphia, 1833.
- Allardice, Robert Barclay. Agricultural Tour in the United States and Upper Canada, with Miscellaneous Notices. By Captain Barclay of Ury. Edinburgh, 1842.
- American Sketches; by a Native of the United States. London, 1827.
- Amphlett, William. The Emigrant's Directory to the Western States of North America; Including a Voyage out from Liverpool; the Geography and Topography of the whole Western Country, according to its Latest Improvements
. London, 1819.
- Anburey, Thomas. Travels through the Interior Parts of America. In a Series of Letters. By an Officer
. 2 vols. London, 1789.
- Arfvedson, Karl David. The United States and Canada, in 1832, 1833, and 1834. 2 vols. London, 1834.
- Ashe, Thomas. Travels in America, Performed in 1806, for the Purpose of Exploring the Rivers Alleghany, Monongahela, Ohio, and Mississippi, and Ascertaining the Produce and Condition of their Banks and Vicinity. London, printed. Newburyport [Mass.], 1808.
- Atwater, Caleb. Remarks Made on a Tour to Prairie du Chien; thence to Washington City, in 1829. Columbus [O.], 1831.
- Writings of Caleb Atwater. Columbus [O.], 1833.
- Ayers, Elisha. A Journal of Travel, by E. Ayers
. Who Traveled a Number of Years in Different Parts of the United States, Including Anecdotes, Remarks, Adventures, Criticisms, Geography, Mineralogy, History, Curiosities, Antiquities, Poetry, Observations, etc., etc. [Preston, Conn.], 1847.
- Bache, Robert. View of the Valley of the Mississippi; or, The Emigrant's and Traveller's Guide to the West
. Philadelphia, 1832.
- Bartlett, William Henry. American Scenery
. 2 vols. London, 1840.
- Bartram, John.
See Bibliography to Book I, Chap. I.
- Bartram, William. Travels through North and South Carolina, East and West Florida, the Extensive Territories of the Muscogulges, or Creek Confederacy, and the Country of the Chactaws; Containing an Account of the Soil and Natural Productions of those Regions, together with Observations on the Manners of the Indians
. Philadelphia, 1791.
- Beaufoy. Tour through Parts of the United States and Canada. By a British Subject. London, 1828.
- Beaujour, F. de. Sketch of the United States &hellip at the Commencement of the Nineteenth Century, from 1800 to 1810. London, 1814.
- Beltrami, Giacomo Costantino. A Pilgrimage in Europe and America, Leading to the Discovery of the Sources of the Mississippi and Bloody River; with a Description of the Whole Course of the Former, and of the Ohio. 2 vols. London, 1828.
- Bernhard, Karl, Duke of SaxeWeimarEisenach. Travels through North America, during the Years 1825 and 1826. 2 vols. 1828.
- Biggs, William. Narrative of William Biggs, while he was a Prisoner with the Kickepoo Indians
. [N. p.], 1826.
- Bingley, William. Travels in North America, from Modern Writers. With Remarks and Observations; Exhibiting a Connected View of the Geography and Present State of that Quarter of the Globe
. London, 1821.
- Birkbeck, Morris. Notes on a Journey in America
. Philadelphia, 1817.
- Blane, William Newnham. An Excursion through the United States and Canada during the Years 182223. By an English Gentleman
. London, 1824.
- Bloodgood, Simeon De Witt. An Englishman's SketchBook; or, Letters from New York. [Anon.] 1828.
- Blowe, Daniel. A Geographical, Historical, Commercial, and Agricultural View of the United States of America; Forming a Complete Emigrant's Directory through Every Part of the Republic: Particularising the States of Kentucky, Tennessee, Ohio, Indiana, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Illinois; and the Territories of Alabama, Missouri &hellip East and West Florida, Michigan, and NorthWestern &hellip likewise, an Account of the British Possessions in Upper and Lower Canada
. Compiled by Several Gentlemen from a Variety of Original Manuscripts, and from the Latest and Best Authorities. London, 1820.
- Boardman, James. America, and the Americans
. By a Citizen of the World. London, 1833.
- Brackenridge, Henry M. Views of Louisiana; together with a Journal of a Voyage up the Missouri River, in 1811
. Pittsburgh, 1814.
- Recollections of Persons and Places in the West. Philadelphia .
- Bradbury, John. Travels in the Interior of America in the Years 1809, 1810, and 1811
. Liverpool, 1817; 2 ed., London, 1819.
- Bradford, W. J. A. Notes on the Northwest, or Valley of the Upper Mississippi. 1846.
- Bristed, John. America and her Resources; or, A View of the Agricultural, Commercial, Manufacturing, Financial, Political, Literary, Moral, and Religious Capacity and Character of the American People. London, 1818.
- Brissot de Warville, Jean Pierre. New Travels in the United States of America: Including the Commerce of America with Europe; particularly with France and Great Britain. 2 vols. [London, 1794.]
- Bronson, Francis S. Bronson's Travelers' Directory, from NewYork to NewOrleans, Embracing all the most Important Routes, with a Condensed Outline of the Country through which they Pass. La Grange, Ga., 1845.
- Brothers, Thomas. The United States as they Are; not as they are Generally Described
. London, 1840.
- Brown, Samuel R. The Western Gazetteer, or Emigrant's Directory
. Auburn, 1817.
- Buckingham, James Silk. America, Historical, Statistic, and Descriptive. 2 vols. 1841.
- The Eastern and Western States of America. 3 vols. London, .
- The Slave States of America. 2 vols. London, 1842.
- Bullock, William. Sketch of a Journey through the Western States of North America, from New Orleans, by the Mississippi, Ohio, City of Cincinnati and Falls of Niagara, to New York, in 1827
. With a Description of the New and Flourishing City of Cincinnati, by Messrs. B. Drake and E. D. Mansfield. And a Slection from Various Authors, on the Present Condition and Future Prospects of the Settlers, in the Fertile and Populous State of Ohio, Containing Information Useful to Persons Desirous of Settling in America
. London, 1827.
- Burnaby, Andrew. Travels through the Middle Settlements in North-America, in the Years 1759 and 1760. With Observations upon the State of the Colonies. London, 1775.
- Travels through the Middle Settlements in North America, in the Years 1759 and 1760; with Observations upon the State of the Colonies. Edition the 3d; rev., cor., and greatly enl., by the Author. London, 1798.
- Butler, Frances Anne [Kemble]. Journal. 2 vols. Philadelphia, 1835.
- Buttrick, Tilly. Voyages, Travels, and Discoveries
. Boston, 1831.
- Campbell, P. Travels in the Interior Inhabited Parts of North America, in the Years 1791 and 1792
. Edinburgh, 1793.
- Candler, Issac. A Summary View of America: Comprising a Description of the Face of the Country, and of Several of the Principal Cities; and Remarks on the Social, Moral and Political Character of the People: Being the Result of Observations and Enquiries during a Journey in the United States. By an Englishman. London, 1824.
- Carver, Jonathan. Travels through the Interior Parts of North America in the Years 1766, 1767, and 1768. London, 1778.
- Champlin, James. Travels and Adventures of James Champlin, who was Born Blind, with a Description of the Different Countries through which he Traveled in America. 2d ed. rev. Columbus, 1842.
- Chastellux, Francois Jean, Marquis de. Travels in North America in the Years 1780, 1781, and 1782 by the Marquis de Chastellux
. Tr. from the French by an English Gentleman, who Resided in America at that Period. 2 vols. London, 1787.
- Chateaubriand, François Auguste Renè de. Recollections of Italy, England, and America
. 2 vols. Philadelphia, 1816.
- Travels in America and Italy. 2 vols. London, 1828.
- Chevalier, Michel. Society, Manners, and Politics in the United States
. Boston, 1839.
- Clark, John Alonzo. Gleanings by the Way
. Philadelphia and New York, 1842.
- Clinton, De Witt. Letters on the Natural History and Internal Resources of the State of New York. By Hibernicus. 1822.
- Cluny, Alexander. The American Traveller: or, Observations on the Present State, Culture, and Commerce of the British Colonies in America, and the Further Improvements of which they are Capable; with an Account of the Exports, Imports, and Returns of Each Colony respectively. &hellip In a Series of Letters Written Originally to the Right Honourable the Earl of * * * By an Old and Experienced Trader. London, 1769.
- Cobbett, William. A Year's Residence in the United States of America. Treating of the Face of the Country, the Climate, the Soil, the Products, the Mode of Cultivating the Land, the Prices of Land, of Labour, of Food, of Raiment; of the Expenses of Housekeeping, and of the Usual Manner of Living; of the Manners and Customs of the People; and of the Institutions of the Country, Civil, Political, and Religious. 2d ed
. London, 1819.
- The Emigrant's Guide; in Ten Letters, Addressed to the TaxPayers of England; Containing Information of Every Kind, Necessary to Persons who are about to Emigrate; Including Several Authentic and most Interesting Letters from English Emigrants, now in America, to their Relations in England
. London, 1830.
- Coke, Edward Thomas. A Subaltern's Furlough: Descriptive of Scenes in Various Parts of the United States, Upper and Lower Canada, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia, during the Summer and Autumn of 1832. London, 1833.
- Coke, Thomas
. A Journal of the Rev. Dr. Coke's Fourth Tour on the Continent of America. London, 1792.
- Extracts of the Journal of the Rev. Dr. Coke's Five Visits to America. London, 1793
- Collins, S. H. The Emigrant's Guide to and Description of the United States of America; Including Serveral Authentic and highly Important Letters from English Emigrant now in America, to their Friends in England. 4th ed. Hull .
- Collyer, Robert H. Lights and Shadows in American Life. Boston, .
- Colton, C. Tour of the American Lakes, and among the Indians of the NorthWest Territory in 1830
. 2 vols. London, 1833.
- Combe, George. Notes on the United States of North America, during a Phrenological Visit in 1838940. 2 vols. London, 1833.
- Cooper, James Fenimore.
See Bibliography to Book II, Chap. VI.
- Cooper, Thomas. Some Information respecting America. London, 1794.
- Cooper, W. D. The History of North America, Containing a Review of the Customs and Manners of the Original Inhabitants. London, 1789.
- Cooper, William. A Guide in the Wilderness
. Dublin, 1810.
- Cox, Ross. Adventures on the Columbia River, Including the Narrative of a Residence of Six Years on the Western Side of the Rocky Mountains
. 2 vols. 1832.
- Coxe, Tench. A View of the United States of America . Philadelphia, 1794.
- Cramer, Zadok. The Ohio and Mississippi Navigatore; Comprising an Ample Account of those Beautiful Rivers from the Head of the Former to the Mouth of the Latter
. New ed., Pittsburgh, 1804. [Ist ed., 1801.]
- Crevecoeur, Michel Guillaume St. Jean de. Letters from an American Farmer; Describing Certain Provincial Situations, Manners, and Customs
. and Conveying some Idea of the Late and Present Interior Circumstances of the British Colonies in North America. Written for the Information of a Friend in England by J. Hector St. John
. London, 1782. As Letters from an American Farmer. With a Prefatory Note by W. P. Trent and an Introduction by Ludwig Lewisohn. New York, 1904.
- Voyage dans la Haute Pensylvanie et dans 1`Etat de New York, par 1`Auteur des Letters d'un Cultivateur American
. 3 vols. Paris, 1801.
- Crockett, David. An Account of Col. Crockett's Tour to the North and down East, in the Year of Our Lord One Thousand Eight Hundred and ThirtyFour
- His Object Being to Examine the Grand Manufacturing Establishments of the Country; and also to Find out the Condition of its Literature and Morals, the Extent of its Commerce, and the Practical Operation of The Experiment.
. Philadelphia and Baltimore, 1835.
- Cuming, Fortesque. Sketches of a Tour to the Western Country
. Pittsburgh, 1810.
- Cutler, Jervis. A Topographical Description of the State of Ohio, Indiana Territory, and Louisiana
. Boston, 1812.
- Dalton, William Travels in the United States on the America, and Part of Upper Canada
. Appleby [Eng.], 1821.
- Dana, Edmund. Geographical Sketches on the Western Country; designed for Emigrants and Settlers
. Cincinnati, 1819.
- Darby, William. A Geographical Description of the State of Louisiana, the Southern Part of the State of Missisppi, and Territory of Alabama
. 2d ed., enl. 1817.
- The Emigrant's Guide to the Western and Southwestern States and Territories. 1818.
- A Tour from the City of NewYork, to Detroit, in the Michigan Territory, Made between the 2d of May and the 22d of September, 1818
- View of the United States, Historical, Georgraphical, and Statistical, Exhibiting, in a Convenient Form, the Natural and Artificial Features of the Several States, and Embracing those Leading Branches of History and Statistics best Adapted to Develop the Present Condition of the North American Union
. Philadelphia, 1828.
- Darusmont, Frances Wright. View of Society and Manners in America; in a Series of Letters from that Country to a Friend in England, during the Years 1818, 1819, and 1820. By an Englishwoman
. New York, 1821.
- Daubeny, Charles G. B. Journal of a Tour through the United States and in Canada, Made during the Years 183738
. Oxford, 1843.
- Davis, John. Travels of Four Years and a Half in the United States
. [17981802.] London, 1803.
- Davis, Stephen. Notes of a Tour in America, in 1832 and 1833
. Edinburgh, 1833.
- Davison, Gideon Miner. The Fashionable Tour
. Saratoga, 1830.
- The Traveller's Guide through the Middle and Northern States, and the Provinces of Canada. 6th ed. enl. and improved. Saratoga Springs and New York, 1834.
- DeRoos, John Frederick Fitzgerald. Personal Narrative of Travels in the United States and Canada in 1826
. With Remarks on the Present State of the American Navy. London, 1827.
- Dickens, Charles
. American Notes for General Circulation. 1842.
- Dickinson, Rodolphus. A Georgraphical and Statistical View of Massachusetts Proper. Greenfield, 1813.
- Doddridge, Joseph. Notes on the Settlement and Indian Wars of the Western Parts of Virginia and Pennsylvania
. Wellsburgh, Virginia, 1824.
- Drayton. John. Letters Written during a Tour through the Northern and Eastern States of America. Charleston, 1794.
- A View of South Carolina
. Charleston, 1802.
- Duhring, Henry. Remarks on the United States of America. London, 1833.
- Duncan, John Morison. Travels through Part of the United States and Canada in 1818 and 1819. 2 vols. New York and New Haven. 1823.
- Dwight, Theodore. Sketches of the Scenery and Manners in the United States. 1829.
- The Northern Traveller, and Northern Tour, with the Routes to the Springs, Niagara, and Quebec, and the Coal Mines of Pennsylvania; also, Tour of New England
. 5th ed. 1834.
- Dwight, Timothy. Travels in New England and New York . 4 vols. New Haven, 18211822.
- Eddis, William. Letters from America, Historical and Descriptive, Comprising Occurrences from 1769 to 1777, inclusive. London, 1792.
- Ellicott, Andrew. The Journal of Andrew Ellicott, Late Commissioner on behalf of the United States &hellip for Determining the Boundary between the United States and the Possessions of His Catholic Majesty
. Philadelphia, 1803.
- Entick, John [and James Webster]. An Historical and Geographical Description of the British Empire
. 4 vols. London, 1770.
- The European Traveller in America. Contained in Three Letters to his Friend in London
. Hartford, 1785.
- Evans, Estwick. A Pedestrious Tour, of Four Thousand Miles, through the Western States and Territories, during the Winter and Spring of 1818. Interspersed with Brief Reflections upon a Great Variety of Topics
. Concord, N. H., 1819.
- Eyre, John. The European Stranger in America
- Farnham, Eliza W. Life in Priarie Land. 1846.
- Farnham, Thomas J. Travels in the Great Western Prairies, the Anahuae and Rocky Mountains, and in the Oregon Territory
. 2 vols. London, 1843.
- Faux, William. Memorable Days in America: Being a Journal of a Tour to the United States, Principally Undertaken to Ascertain, by Positive Evidence, the Condition and Probable Prospects of British Emigrants; Including Accounts of Mr. Birkbeck's Settlement in the Illinois
. London, 1823.
- Fearon, Henry Bradshaw. Sketches of America: A Narrative of a Journey of Five Thousand Miles through the Eastern and Western States of America.&hellip London, 1818.
- Featherstonhaugh, George William. Excursion through the Slave States
. 2 vols. London, 1844. I vol. New York, 1844.
- A Canoe Voyage up the Minnary Sotor; with an Account of the Lead and Copper Deposits in Wisconsin; of the Gold Region in the Cherokee Country; and Sketches of Popular Manners
. 2 vols. London, 1847.
- Felton, Mrs. Life in America. A Narrative of Two Years' City and Country Residence in the United States
. Hull, 1838.
- Fenning, Daniel. A New System of Geography
. 2 vols. London, 176465.
- Ferrall, Simon A.
- Fidler, Isaac. Observations on Professions, Literature, Manners, and Emigration, in the United States and Canada, made during a Residence there in 1832. 1833.
- Filson, J. The Discovery, Settlement, and Present State of Kentucke
. Wilmington, 1784.
- Finch, John. Travels in the United States of America and Canada, Containing Some Account of their Scientific Institutions, and a Few Notices of the Geology and Mineralogy of those Countries. To which is Added, an Essay on the Natural Boundaries of Empires. London, 1833.
- Flagg, Edmund T. The Far West; or a Tour beyond the Mountains, Embracing Outlines of Western Life and Scenery
. 2 vols. 1838.
- Flint, James. Letters from America
. Edinburgh, 1822.
- Flint, Timothy. Recollections of the Last Ten Years
. Boston, 1826.
- A Condensed Geography and History of the Western States
. 2 vols. Cincinnati, 1828.
See also Bibliography to Book II, Chap. VII.
- Flower, Richard. Letters from Lexington and the Illinois. London, 1819.
- Letters from the Illinois, 1820, 1821
. London, 1822.
- Forbes, James Grant. Sketches, Historical and Topographical, of the Floridas.&hellip London, 1821.
- Fowler, John. Journal of a Tour in the State of New York in the Year 1830.&hellip London, 1831.
- Franklin, Benjamin. Two Tracts: Information to those who would Remove to America; and, Remarks concerning the Savages of North America
. London, 1784.
- Frèmont, John C. Report of the Exploring Expedition to the Rocky Mountains in the Year 1842, and to Oregon and North California in the Years 18431844. Washington, 1845.
- Fuller, Margaret. Summer on the Lakes in 1843. Boston and New York, 1844.
- Gass, Patrick. A Journal of the Voyages and Travels of a Corps of Discovery, under the Command of Capt. Lewis and Capt. Clarke
. Pittsburgh, 1807.
- A General Outline of the United States of North America, her Resources and Prospects, with a Statistical Comparision
. Being the Substance of Letters, Addressed from Philadelphia, in 1823, to a Friend in England
. Philadelphia, 1825.
- A Geographical View of the United States. Boston, 1827.
- Gilman, Caroline Howard. The Poetry of Travelling in the United States. By Caroline Gilman. With Additional Sketches, by a Few Friends; and A Week among Autographs, by Rev. S. Gilman
- Gilman, Chandler R. Life on the Lakes
. 2 vols. 1836.
- Godley, John Robert. Letters from America. 2 vols. London, 1844.
- Goodrich, Samuel Griswold. Peter Parley's Book of the United States. Geographical, Political, and Historical; with Comparative Views of Other Countries
. Boston, 1837.
- Gordon, J. B. An Historical and Geographical Memoir of the North American Continent
. Dublin, 1820.
- Grant, Anne MacVicar. Memoirs of an American Lady, with Sketches of Manners and Scenery in America, as they Existed Previous to the Revolution. 1809.
- Greene, Asa. Travels in America. By George Fibbington, Esq., Exbarber. &hellip 1833.
- Gregg, Josiah. Commerce of the Prairies: or the Journal of a Santa Fè Trader. &hellip 2 vols. New York and London, 1844.
- Grund, Francis Joseph. The Americans in their Moral, Social, and Political Relations. 2 vols. London, 1837.
- Guest, Moses. Poems on Several Occasions. To Which are Annexed, Extracts from a Journal, Kept by the Author while he Followed the Sea, and during a Journey from NewBrunswick, in NewJersey, to Montreal and Quebec. 2d ed. Cincinnati, 1824.
- Gurney, Joseph John. A Journey in North America, Described in Familiar Letters to Amelia Opie
. Norwich [Eng.], 1841.
- Guthrie, William. A New System of Modern Geography
- Hadley, William Hobart. The American Citizen`s Manual of Reference; Being a Comprehensive Historical, Statistical, Topographical, and Political View of the United States of North America, and of the Several States and Territories. Carefully Comp. from the Latest Authorities
- Haliburton, Thomas C. The Americans at Home
. London, 1843.
- Hall, Basil. Forty Etchings, from Sketches Made with the Camera Lucida, in North America, in 1827 and 1828
. Edinburgh [etc.], 1829.
- Travels in North America in the Years 1827 and 1828. 3 vols. Edinburgh and London, 1829.
- Hall, Francis. Travels in Canada, and the United States, in 1816 and 1817
. London, 1818.
- Hall, Frederick. Letters from the East and from the West. Washington, .
- Hall, James. Letters from the West; Containing Sketches of Scenery, Manners, and Customs
. London, 1828.
- Sketches of the History, Life, and Manners in the West. 2 vols. Philadelphia, 1835.
- Notes on the Western States. Philadelphia, 1838.
- See also Bibliography to Book II, Chap. VII.
- Hamilton, Thomas. Men and Manners in America. 2 vols. Philadelphia, 1833.
- Harding, Benjamin. A Tour through the Western Country
. Published for the Use of Emigrants. New London, 1819.
- Harris, Thaddeus Mason. The Journal of a Tour into the Territory Northwest of the Alleghany Mountains
. Boston, 1805.
- Harris, William Tell. Remarks Made during a Tour through the United States of America, in the Years 1817, 1818, and 1819
. In a Series of Letters to Friends in England, London, 1821.
- Harvey, George. Harvey`s Scenes of the Primitive Forest of America, at the Four Periods of the Year, Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter, Engraved from his Original Paintings, Accompanied with Descriptive LetterPress
- Haswell, Anthony. Memoirs and Adventures of Captain Matthew Phelps
. Bennington, Vermont, 1802.
- Hayward, John. A View of the United States: Historical, Geographical, and Statistical. November, 1832. [c. 1832.]
- The Columbian Traveller, and Statistical Register. Principally Relating to the United States. November, 1833. [Boston, 1833.]
- Hearne, Samuel. A Journey from Prince of Wales`s Fort, in Hudson`s Bay to the Northern Ocean &hellip in the Years 1769, 1770, 1771, and 1772
. London, 1795.
- Henry, Alexander. Travels and Adventures in Canada and the Indian Territories between the Years 1760 and 1776. 1809.
- Heriot, George. Travels through the Canadas, Containing a Description of the Picturesque Scenery on Some of the Rivers and Lakes; with an Account of the Productions, Commerce, and Inhabitants of those Provinces. To which is Subjoined a Comparative View of the Manners and Customs of Several of the Indian Nations of North and South America. London, 1807.
- Hewett, D. The American Traveller; or, National Directory, Containing an Account of all the Great Post Roads, and most Important Cross Roads, in the United States
. A Geographical and Statistical View of the United
- States; with Information on Other Subjects Interesting to Travellers
. Washington, 1825.
- Hildreth, Hosea. A View of the United States; for the Use of Schools and Families
. Boston and Baltimore, 1830.
- Hinton, John Howard. The History and Topography of the United States: ed. by John Howard Hinton, A. M. Assisted by Several Literary Gentlemen in America and England. Illustrated with a Serveral of Views, Drawn on the Spot, and Engraved on Steel, Expressly for this Work. 3d ed
. 2 vols. London, 1842.
- An Historical Review and Directory of North America: Containing a Geographical, Political, and Natural History of the British and Other European Settlements, the United and Apocryphal States&hellip and a Concise Account of the Indian Nations
. By a Gentleman Immediately Returned from a Tour of that Continent. 2 vols. Cork, 1801.
- The History of the British Dominious in North America: from the First Discovery of that Vast Continent by Sebastian Cabot in 1497, to its Present Glorious Establishment as Confirmed by the Late Treaty of Peace in 1763
. London, 1773.
- The History of North America. Containing an Exact Account of their First Settlements; their Climate, Soil, Produce, Beasts, Birds, Fishes, Commodities, Manufactures, Commerce, Religion, Charters, Laws, Governments, Cities, Towns, Ports, Rivers, Lakes, Mountains, and Fortifications; with the Present State of the Different Colonies, and a Large Introduction. London, 1776.
- Hodgson, Adam. Remarks during a Journey through North America in the Years 1819, 1820, and 1821, in a Series of Letters: with an Appendix, Containing an Account of Several of the Indian Tribes, and the Principal Missionary Stations, etc. Also a letter to M. Jean Baptiste Say, on the Comparative Expense of Free and Slave labor
. Collected, Arranged, and Published by Samuel Whiting 1823.
- Letters from North America, Written during a Tour in the United States and Canada
. 2 vols. London, 1824.
- Hoffman, Charles Fenno. A Winter in the Far West
. 2 vols. London, 1835.
- A Winter in the West; by a New Yorker. 2 vols. 1835.
- Wild Scenes in the Forest and Prairie. 2 vols. London, 1839.
See also Bibliographies to Book II, Chaps. V and VII.
- Holmes, Isaac. An Account of the United States of America, Derived from Actual Observation during a Residence of Four Years
. London, .
- Hoskins, Nathan. Notes upon the Western Country
. Greenfield [Mass.], 1833.
- Howison, John. Sketches of Upper Canada&hellip and some Recollections of the United States of America. Edinburgh, 1821.
- Howitt, Emanuel. Selections from Letters Written during a Tour through the United States, in the Summer and Autumn of 1819; Illustrative of the Character of the Native Indians, and of their Descent from the Lost Ten Tribes of Israel; as well as Descriptive of the Present Situation and Sufferings of Emigrants, and of the Soil and State of Agriculture. Nottingham, .
- Hull, John Simpson. Remarks on the United States of America; Drawn up from his Own Observations, and from the Observations of Other Travellers
. Dublin, [1801?].
- Hulme, Thomas. Journal Made during a Tour in the Western Countries of America. [In Cobbett, A Year`s Residence, etc., 1818.]
- Hutchins, Thomas. A Topographical Description of Virginia, Pennsylvania, Maryland, and North Carolina&hellip with a Plan of the Rapids of the Ohio, a Plan of the Several Villages in the Illinois Country [etc.]. London, 1778.
- Imlay, Gilbert. A Topographical Description of the Western Territory of North America; Containing a Succinct Account of its Climate, Natural History, Population, Agriculture, Manners, and Customs, with an Ample Description of the Several Divisions into which that Country is Partitioned, and an Accurate Statement of the Various Tribes of Indians that Inhabit the Frontier Country
. London, 1792.
- Ingersoll, Charles Jared. Inchiquin the Jesuit's Letters, during a Late Residence in the United States of America
- Irving, Washington.
See Bibliography to Book II, Chap. IV.
- Jacobs, Bela. A Voice from the West
. Boston, 1833.
- James, Edwin. Account of an Expedition from Pittsburgh to the Rocky Mountains, Performed in the Years 1819 and '20 &hellip under the Command of Stephen H. Long; from the Notes of Major Long, Mr. T. Say [etc.]
. 2 vols. Philadelphia, 182223.
- James, Thomas Horton. Rambles in the United States and Canada during the Year 1845, with a Short Account of Oregon. By Rubio. London, 1846.
- Janson, Charles William. The Stranger in America: Containing Observations Made during a Long Residence in that Country, on the Genius, Manners and Customs of the People of the United States; with Biographical Particulars of Public Characters; Hints and Facts Relative to the Arts, Sciences, Commerce, Agriculture, Manufactures, Emigration, and the Slave Trade. London, 1807.
- Jaquith, James. The History of James Jaquith, Being his Travels through the United States and Upper and Lower Canada. Containing Great Geographical Information. Written by Himself. 3d ed. [n. p.], 1830.
- Jefferson, Thomas. Notes on the State of Virginia; Written in the Year 1781, Somewhat Corrected and Enlarged in the Winter of 1782, for the Use of a Foreigner of Distinction, in Answer to Certain Queries Proposed by Him.&hellip Paris, 1786.
- Johnson, C. B. Letters from the British Settlement in Pennsylvania
. Philadelphia, 1819.
- Jones, Abner D. Illinois and the West
. Boston, 1838.
- Jones, David. A Journal of Two Visits Made to Some Nations of Indians on the West Side of the River Ohio in the Years 1772 and 1773. Burlington, 1774.
- Jones, James Athearn. A Letter to an English Gentleman, on the Libels and Calumnies on America by British Writers and Reviewers. Philadelphia, 1826.
- Journal of an Excursion to the United States and Canada in the Year 1834; with Hints to Emigrants; and a Fair and Impartial Exposition of the Advantages and Disadvantages Attending Emigration. By a Citizen of Edinburgh. Edinburgh, 1835.
- Journal of a Tour of a Detachment of Cadets, from the A. L. S. and M. Academy, Middletown, to the City of Washington, in December, 1826. Middletown, Conn., 1827.
- Kalm, Pehr. Travels into North America; Containing its Natural History, and a Circumstantial Account of its Plantations and Agriculture in General, with the Civil, Ecclesiastical, and Commercial State of the Country, the Manners of the Inhabitants, and Several Curious and Important Remarks on Various
. Tr. into English by John Reinhold Forster
. 3 vols. London, 177071.
- Keating, William H. Narrative of an Expedition to the Source of St.Peter's River
. 2 vols. Philadelphia, 1824.
- Keith, Thomas. Struggles of Captain Thomas Keith
. Including the Manner in which he, his Wife and Child, were Decoyed by the Indians. Interspersed with Occasional Descriptions
. London, [1808?].
- Kemble, Frances Anne.
See Butler, Frances Anne.
- Kendall, Edward A. Travels through the Northern Parts of the United States, in the Years 1807 and 1808. 3 vols. 1809.
- Kennedy, William. Texas: the Rise, Progress, and Prospects of the Republic of Texas. 2 vols. 2d ed., London, 1841.
- Ker, Henry. Travels through the Western Interior of the United States, from the Year 1808 up to the Year 1816; with a Particular Description of a Great Part of Mexico, or New Spain
. Elizabethtown, N. J., 1816.
- Kingdom, William, Jr. America and the British Colonies
. London, 1820.
- Kingman, John. Letters Written while on a Tour to Illinois and Wisconsin in the Summer of 1838. Hingham, 1842.
- Kirkland, Caroline M. S.